Roland_Price

Hi, everyone

We're doing UE4 2d project called Luscus and we're using Spine for all the ingame animations. So far we're loving it as it covers all our needs (though integration with UE4 itself could be improved). But so war there's no UMG integration and we can't deliver all these sweet moving pictures to UI layer.

So we wanted to ask are there any plans for making a UMG component for UE4?

Thank you in advance for your answers
Roland_Price

InnerChild

UMG will not work with Spine because of how Spine creates the render. In fact UMG does not support paper2D flipbook animations neither.

You have 4 options:
Export Spine animation as spritesheet and create a material with a flipbook node to play the animation.
Mix a 3dwidget with your Spine Renderer inside a Blueprint.
Capture the Spine animation in a texture target and send it to UMG via material
Create/Modify a slate to render 3d objects on UMG.
InnerChild

Roland_Price

InnerChild escribió:UMG will not work with Spine because of how Spine creates the render. In fact UMG does not support paper2D flipbook animations neither.

You have 4 options:
Export Spine animation as spritesheet and create a material with a flipbook node to play the animation.
Mix a 3dwidget with your Spine Renderer inside a Blueprint.
Capture the Spine animation in a texture target and send it to UMG via material
Create/Modify a slate to render 3d objects on UMG.
Thank you for your answer, we'll investigate these options. Although we were hoping for a native integration, mainly because there is a plugin that actually adds the Flipbook play to UMG (no materials support so far, but still).
Roland_Price

InnerChild

If you are looking for a flipbook solution, you can use this
Unreal Engine 4 Flipbooks Materials - YouTube

and set the material domain to UI
InnerChild

Roland_Price

InnerChild escribió:If you are looking for a flipbook solution, you can use this
Unreal Engine 4 Flipbooks Materials - YouTube

and set the material domain to UI
Thank you for the link. I've tried this solution earlier, it won't do - max texture is 8k x 8k and we have a 32 frames FullHD flipbook, so it's kinda heavy :)
Roland_Price

InnerChild

Then try a 3d widget.
Or render texture
InnerChild

Roland_Price

InnerChild escribió:Then try a 3d widget.
Or render texture
Thanks, we're currently evaluating another skeletal based software that has UMG solution, so we'll see how it goes
Roland_Price

badlogic

Sorry, I've totally missed your post. I've added an issue to the tracker here [ue4] Add UMG support · #1047

It seems that I can paint a procedural mesh in a widget implementation, so there shouldn't be any technical hurdles (apart from maybe tint black support, which requires an additional vertex attribute). I'm afraid I won't get to this before the new year.

You said UE4 integration could be improved overall. Please let us know what you think could be done better!
badlogic

Mario

InnerChild

Roland_Price escribió:
InnerChild escribió:Then try a 3d widget.
Or render texture
Thanks, we're currently evaluating another skeletal based software that has UMG solution, so we'll see how it goes
what solution is that?
:o
InnerChild

Volver a Runtimes