skarasuko

I have been producing various animations for game projects, but I have not developed a reason to use multiple skeletons in any of my Spine project files. I've been pondering about possible scenarios when I could make use of skeletons from importing project files.

1. I love making dynamic actions and poses, so I hope to express this through my characters' animations. But I usually do not use more than 1 base body for a character per Spine project file, because I want to avoid managing a ton of layers. This has limited me with creating smooth frame transitions from 1 Skeleton to another Skeleton (of the same character). I was thinking I can start importing project files and eliminate some guesswork from working on project files (Skeletons) individually.

2. In regards to player vs. AI interactions, I've been having trouble deciding how I want to organize my Spine files when an interaction needs to be framed consistently between the player and the AI, particularly when either the player or AI has a grapple move (i.e. grabbing the arm). Aligning the characters is crucial to make the animations look correct per frame transition.

In both the scenarios above, however, there can be body parts that would need to be recycled, such as the head or torso. In Scenario #1, in one project I used 2 different set of bones for the body but maintained the head, therefore using the 2 body bases in one Spine project. In Scenario #2, when I need a specific and direct interaction of 2 characters, I simply drew the 2 characters together for one Spine project.

My artwork style generally demands a lot of layers per character and I've been consistently using Constraints, which are not transferable between Skeletons. So, I may want to look for more management advice in the long term.
skarasuko

Erika

Hello,

If you plan to mix the same parts of the body, and this all belongs to one character, then maybe you may want to do a multi-pose skeleton as shown in these streams:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PLwGl7Ikd_6GTpd2PnWqqIZVsqotxtrtaE&v=WVLZCfitpdE
(download of the complete file on the last stream)

I'd suggest to try giving this project a look and see if it can match your needs :D especially because it could ease the AI interactions given that you only ever have one bone for the same part even if the position, assets, or animation change!
Erika

Erikari

skarasuko

Using the same bones for multiple images can be difficult to manage when I animate a fully human model. For example, the shoulder has a rotatable bone in the front view, but would need a Translatable bone in the side view. And I need different bone setup for the face and hair strands. This 1 skeleton management can also make it hard for me to import additional images to the character per angle, since it involves managing the Weights between Setup and Animate mode.

In general, I still have a little paranoia about images' weights being warped and having some changes in the project irreversible, which is why I prefer to preserve the images' original bone and weight position in Setup mode.

Additionally, I also prefer to preserve my images' "0 value" Transform and IK Constraints. There might be cases when I have no choice but to import the skeleton of another character because I want to animate an interaction between these 2 characters, and this may usually involve switching the Draw Order of some body parts and adding images that is exclusive to the interaction.
skarasuko

Erika

Well, the character I shared with you has its own shoulder setup, you can check how that is used across different directions bydownloading the files in the last stream of that series from here: Spine: Twitch

Trust me, I have the same paranoia too and care a lot about things being revertable and staying intact. Check the videos for a nice explanation of how the whole thing works :D
Erika

Erikari

skarasuko

I'll give it a shot. From what I understand, I can bind every single image to the root or stable bone, Update Bindings in Animate mode, and shift the weights all the way to the stable bone if I want to revert it to its original deformation and position, correct?
skarasuko

Volver a Editor